Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Day Two: Preliminary Matches

Yesterday was a wonderful day. Preliminary matches, or "pre-matches," were made. These pairings of Team Training students and dogs represent the potential teams that will hopefully go on to graduate. There is, however, an emphasis on the preliminary aspect of these matches, as changes may be made for a number of different reasons. Changes, when made, are initiated with the optimal working relationship of the assistance dog team in mind. Team success and safety are the paramount goals.

The day continued with further soundwork practice, in addition to lectures and introductions of additional commands. As ever, the volunteers who provided lunch were so appreciated - lunch is a great respite for hungry students who have been working and listening all morning! While Team Training lunches provide an opportunity for students to further bond (with each other, and later with their dogs as well), they also facilitate students' introduction to the generous folks who volunteer their time and energy on campus.

I feel good about my preliminary match on a number of different levels. From my experiences with Maya and Karma, I trust and believe that the instructors absolutely do have the needs and best interests of the students in mind. It is heartening and enjoyable to notice the warmth I feel when I think of the dog I am working with, as well as my anticipation at continuing to work together. Simultaneously, I am mindful that we - dog and I - are engaged in an interactive, enjoyable, and purposeful dance under the adept supervision of the instructors. At some point, the dance may call for the exchange of dance partners. This metaphor works for me, and I am thoroughly enjoying the dance right now and every chance I get.

I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge the Canine Companions staff members from around the campus who came to witness and support the pre-match announcements. As the staff watched and responded to each announcement with smiles and applause, I was reminded of the cyclical nature of life and living things. Teams dying and teams being born. Leashes handed over symbolically. An elder dog and a puppy touching noses. And lives changing at every moment.

Later on, in reflecting on the morning's events, I thought back to the moment that I learned I would be pre-matched with Maya. Little Maya.

I thought of Karma and her essential role in my journey. I thought of her sweet smile.

And I'm thinking now about my newest prospective canine partner, wondering what's in store and what our lives together might look like.

All is well.

5 comments:

Rochelle and Deon said...

:) So far so good!

Unknown said...

Oh how I remember day two I was so scared and excited all at once to see who my match was to be. Glad everything is going good and looking forward to the following days ahead.

JillandUriah said...

I hope you danced all day, you are the Dancing Queen!

Leslie said...

What an exciting day!

And I love your metaphor. Enjoy the dance...

Steph B. said...

I love those first hours with a prospective match (assistance dog or otherwise; puppies, kittens, friends) - so much hope and enthusiasm and imagination about what could be. It's a world of possibility. Can't wait to hear more! <3

Post a Comment